PERSIAN-SPICED CHICKEN WITH SPAGHETTI SQUASH, POMEGRANATE, AND PISTACHIOS
- 4 servings
- ACTIVE TIME
- 30 minutes
- TOTAL TIME
- 1 hour
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (2–2 1/2 pounds), halved lengthwise, seeded
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, quartered
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 4 chicken legs (thigh and drumstick)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses (see cooks’ note)
- 1/2 cup roasted salted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped dill, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped mint, plus more for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle each half of squash with 1/4 tsp. salt, then place facedown on prepared baking sheet along with onion quarters.
- Combine turmeric, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. allspice, and 1/8 tsp. cayenne in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Arrange chicken skin side up alongside squash and onions on baking sheet. Brush tops of chicken with 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Bake until interior of squash and onions are fork-tender, chicken skin is crispy, and an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken registers 165°F, 35–45 minutes; if chicken is done before squash, remove from oven and let rest until squash is finished cooking.
- Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, and remaining 3 Tbsp. oil, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. allspice, and 1/8 tsp. cayenne in a large bowl.
- Finely chop onion quarters and transfer to bowl with dressing. Using a fork, scrape squash crosswise to pull strands from shells into bowl with dressing; discard shells. Add pistachios, pomegranate seeds, dill, and mint and toss to coat.
- Divide chicken among plates, top with dill and mint, and serve alongside squash mixture.