SHEET-PAN PASTA BAKE WITH CHICKEN AND KALE
- 4–6 servings
- ACTIVE TIME
- 35 minutes
- TOTAL TIME
- 35 minutes
- 12 ounces short pasta, such as gemelli or penne
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan (about 3 ounces), divided
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 bunch curly kale, ribs and stems removed, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup sour cream or crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken (from 1 [2 1/2-pound] rotisserie chicken)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella (about 6 ounces), divided
- Arrange a rack in top of oven; preheat to 450°F. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, mix panko, 1/4 cup Parmesan, 2 Tbsp. oil, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper in a medium bowl.
- Toss kale and tomatoes with 1/2 tsp. salt and remaining 2 Tbsp. oil on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid. Return pasta to pot. Add sour cream, mustard, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 cup pasta cooking liquid, and remaining 3/4 cup Parmesan and 1/2 tsp. pepper; stir until smooth. Stir in chicken and 1 cup mozzarella, adding more pasta cooking liquid if needed, until evenly coated. Transfer to sheet with kale and tomatoes and toss to combine. Top with panko mixture and remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella.
- Roast pasta mixture until cheese is melted and top is lightly browned, 5–7 minutes.