GRILLED SPLIT LOBSTER
- 2 Servings
- 2 (1 1/2-pounds) live lobsters
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Butter, hot sauce, lemon wedges, for serving
- Prepare grill for medium-high heat; oil grate. Chill two 1 1/2-pounds live lobsters in freezer 15 minutes (this will slow down their nervous system—helpful for what comes next). Working one at a time, transfer to a cutting board, belly side down, with head facing you. Using a kitchen towel, hold tail (it shouldn’t be very active now) and, starting where the tail meets the body, bisect body and head lengthwise in one fell swoop. Turn lobster around and cut lengthwise through tail. Remove any tomalley or eggs (reserving, if you’d like).
- Immediately rub cut side of lobsters with 2 tablespoons oil total; season with salt and pepper. Grill, cut side down, pressing claws against grill, until meat is nearly cooked through, 6–8 minutes. Turn and grill until shells are lightly charred and meat is cooked through (tail meat will look opaque and be firm), about 3 minutes. Remove lobsters from grill and serve with melted butter, hot sauce, and lemon wedges for squeezing over.
MINI SHRIMP ROLLS
- Makes 6 servings
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled, deveined
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 small celery stalk, peeled, finely chopped (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 24 mini soft dinner rolls (each about 1 1/2 x 1 1/2″; such as Martin’s potato rolls or King’s Hawaiian)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup celery leaves or crushed potato chips
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; season lightly with salt. When water is at a gentle simmer, add shrimp. Poach until just opaque in the center, 2-4 minutes. Drain; transfer shrimp to a medium bowl of ice water to cool. Drain; wipe out bowl.
- Whisk mayonnaise, celery, chives, oil, lemon juice, and horseradish in a medium bowl to blend; season to taste with salt and pepper. Chop shrimp into small pieces (about 1/3″); add to bowl with mayonnaise mixture. Stir to coat. DO AHEAD: Shrimp salad can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Using a small serrated knife, make a 1/2″-deep cut across the top of each dinner roll and gently pry open roll with your fingers to create a mini New England-style hot dog bun. Lightly brush inside of rolls with butter; place on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast until light golden, about 8 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Divide shrimp mixture among rolls, pressing into cut across top; garnish with celery leaves or crushed potato chips.
CORN FRITTERS WITH SPICY ZUCCHINI SALSA
- Makes 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 cups diced zucchini
- 1 medium red onion, diced, divided
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 cups corn kernels (thawed if frozen)
- Heat oven to 400°F. In a bowl, combine tomatoes, zucchini, 1/2 onion, garlic, jalapeño, 1/4 teaspoon salt and oil; toss to coat. Spread on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; roast, turning once, until tomatoes and zucchini are light brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Toss with 1/4 cup cilantro and 1 tablespoon juice; set aside. In a second bowl, combine flour, cumin, baking powder and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add egg, remaining 1 tablespoon juice and 1/2 cup water; stir until smooth. Add corn and remaining 1/2 onion and 1/4 cup cilantro. Coat a large frying pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Form 1/4 cup corn mixture into a patty; repeat with remaining corn mixture to form 12 patties. Working in batches of 3 and coating pan with cooking spray as needed, cook patties, turning once, until brown, 5 to 8 minutes per side. Divide patties and salsa among 4 plates.